Disinfecting

Dangers of Alcohol

Amazingly, the medical fraternity advises people to use sanitizers with at least 70% alcohol content. These articles are all over the internet. The only problem is, they don’t tell you how dangerous the alcohol is! One can only assume that this advice is given out as they simply don’t have an alternative. Until now, there has been no other alternative except for Virus Knockout. This page contains information and links that will help you realise just how dangerous alcohol is when it comes to sanitizing, and especially when one considers using it frequently over a period of time. It definitely doesn’t seem to be an ongoing solution.

Recently, the FDA (U.S. Federal Drug Administration) asked manufacturers of hand sanitizers for more information on three commonly used active ingredients in OTC hand sanitizers. Those ingredients — alcohol (ethanol or ethyl alcohol), isopropyl alcohol, and benzalkonium chloride — are used in approximately 97 percent of OTC hand sanitizers. Source: fda.gov

Is isopropyl alcohol a carcinogen?

Isopropyl alcohol manufacture (strong-acid process) is carcinogenic to humans (Group 1). Source: inchem.org 

What are the side effects of benzalkonium chloride?

Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat. Source: drugs.com

Isopropyl alcohol is mixed with water for use as a rubbing-alcohol antiseptic.

Rubbing alcohol is either isopropyl alcohol or ethyl alcohol that has been mixed with water. … Isopropyl-based rubbing alcohol doesn’t contain the ethyl alcohol that you need in alcoholic drinks; and ethyl-based rubbing alcohol uses denatured alcohol, which includes at least one bitter poison that renders it toxic. Source: chemicals.co.uk

Is it safe to drink isopropyl alcohol?

Although it is possible to drink rubbing alcohol, it is extremely dangerous. … Drinking rubbing alcohol can quickly lead to alcohol poisoning. People have reportedly died after ingesting one pint of isopropyl alcohol. While this form of alcohol does lead to intoxication, it is extremely dangerous. Source: recoveryfirst.org

Is isopropyl alcohol safe on skin?

Isopropyl alcohol is readily absorbed through the skin, so spilling large amounts of IPA on the skin may cause accidental poisoning. Small amounts of IPA on the skin is generally not dangerous, but repeated skin exposure can cause itching, redness, rash, drying, and cracking. Prolonged skin contact may cause corrosion. Source: blog.gotopac.com

How much isopropyl alcohol is toxic?

Colorless and bitter-tasting, isopropyl alcohol, also referred to as isopropanol and IPA, is twice as toxic as ethanol. Swallowing just 8 ounces, or 240 milliliters, of rubbing alcohol can be fatal — but as little as 20 milliliters mixed with water can make a person sick. Source: drugrehab.com